Our artists featured at Ancient Journeys are from the Lower Gulf! Did you know ABORIGINAL AUSTRALIANS ARE descendants of the first people to leave Africa up to 75,000 years ago and are considered to be the oldest continuous culture on the planet.
- There are a number of well-known artists from the region including the world renowned artists from Mornington Island. Their painting are famous for their pastel colours inspired by the beauty of the reefs around the Island.
- People of the Lower Gulf and other regions supply Ancient Journeys with authentic works of art
- Artwork is sourced ethically and under the laws of the Indigenous Art Code.
- All proceeds go directly to Aboriginal people, artists and artist development.
Below is a map of the region which highlights the Lower Gulf region.
Adventure to the Lower Gulf. You can start from Cairns! Stop and enjoy the following along your way…
- Innot Hot Springs Holiday Village (07) 4097 0136
- Undara Lava Tubes. Undara Volcanic Park (07) 4097 1900
- Tallaroo Hot Springs (07) 4062 3021
- Gulflander Train 1800 577 245 (in Australia) +61 7 4036 9333 (outside Australia)
- Visit/camp at Delta Downs Station, a 1,000,000 acre cattle property (07) 4745 3433
- Fish for Barramundi in Burketown
- From late September to early November observe the Morning Glory Cloud Phenomenon
- Yagurli Fishing Tours (based in Burketown) ring (07) 4745 5111 for all Yagurli tours as below
- Yagurli Sunset River Cruises
- Yagurli 4WD Tag-along tours
- Yagurli Stargazing
- Visit the very unique Artesian bore (sunk in 1896) in Burketown
- Fish the Nicholson River in Doomadgee
- Fly from Doomadgee or Burketown to Sweers Island. Savannah Aviation (07) 4745 5177
- Boodjamulla National Park and Adel’s Grove Camping and Accommodation Park (07) 4748 5502
- Riversleigh Fossils ring 13 74 68